Tuesday, December 9, 2014


PETS ARE A COMFORT

I was never a pet lover until my ex-boyfriend brought home a dachshund named Daisy. At first I wanted nothing to do with her, but she was determined to get my attention. She sat on my lap and nudged my hand with her nose. Where ever I went, she followed and at night she slept next to me. Before long, I was captured by her determination. I fell in love with her.


When my depression progressed, Daisy stayed by my side showing me unconditional love. When I lay in bed ready to give up, she snuggled close to me and stared into my eyes with her beady brown eyes. It was as if she were saying, “I love you and I'm here for you.”


When I was placed in a hospital, Daisy refused to eat and that gave me the strength to get better. I knew I needed to get out of the hospital so my Daisy would start eating again. So within a week, I was released from the hospital and Daisy and I were reunited.


When Daisy passed on, I got a rat terrier named Brandi. Brandi had more spunk then Daisy and was much younger. When I got depressed ,she'd jump up and down till I got up and walked her. She kept me moving and reminded me how important it was to walk even when I didn't feel like it. She showed me that I had someone other than myself to take care of. I had to keep going if not for me, than for her.


The dog I have now, Elli, loves to snuggle. She snuggles up on my lap and follows me around. She keeps me company when my husband is at work and makes sure she sends me off to work with extra love.


The love of a pet has given me the extra strength I need to fight the darkness and the comfort I need when the world seems hopeless. My dogs were and are not just pets, but they are my babies. I hold them dear to my heart. They help me see the light and give me a reason to dance within the light. They never turned their backs on me even when some of my friends had.


A pet of any type can be a comfort for a person struggling with mental illness. For me, it was and is the love of a dog that gives me extra strength to face each day. All my dogs seemed to know when I was at my worst. They knew when to stay extra close. My buddy, Elli, is very loving and never stops showing me how much she adores me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I can totally see how a pet would bring that comfort to you.
    My dog saw me through the confusion of a divorce, the challenges of relocating, the bleary-eyed stupor of late night writing and so many more times. He always kept me company and I had to stay alert to care for him. Now my cat has taken over that role, but she's a little more persnickety. =) Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pets are really good therapy for any mental and emotional illness. I am so glad you found love for dogs to help you through some rough times. And you once again wrote and excellent blog post!! <3

    ReplyDelete