Tuesday, June 2, 2015

SYMPTOMS OF SELF-INJURY

Self-injury is serious and should not be taken lightly. It's both an unhealthy coping mechanism and a silent cry for help. If a person mentions wanting to injure, take him or her seriously. People do not hurt themselves for attention. They injure because they are sick and need help. There are symptoms you need to look for to identify a self-injurer.

The symptoms are:
  • Scars from burns or cuts (I never cut deep enough to leave a lot of scars.)
  • Fresh cuts, scars, bruises, or other wounds (I cut myself, scratched myself, and tried burning myself.)
  • Broken bones
  • Keeping sharp objects on hand (I stored sharp objects in my dresser.)
  • Wearing long sleeves and long pants even in hot weather (After I injured, I wore long sleeves even in the summer.)
  • Claiming to have frequent accidents or mishaps (I had a lot of excuses for why I had cuts and scratches.)
  • Spending a great deal of time alone (I usually injured in my room or in a place where I was by myself)
  • Pervasive difficulties in interpersonal relationships
  • Persistent questions about personal identity, such as “Who am I?” or “What am I doing here?” (I frequently questioned the reason for my existence and who I was.)
  • Behavioral and emotional instability, impulsively, and unpredictability (I was not stable, and I was fine then a mess within seconds.)
  • Statements of helplessness, hopelessness, or worthlessness (I felt like my life was a hopeless mess and I hated myself. I thought I was worthless.)

Arms, legs and front of torso are common areas of self-injuries. I injured on my arms because I knew I could hide them. If you notice frequent injuries in these areas and any of these symptoms, encourage your friend or family member to get help. If you see symptoms in a teenager talk to his or her parents, a teacher, or school counselor. If you have these symptoms or thoughts of hurting yourself, find help. Tell someone you're close to and seek therapy.


I found these symptoms at http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/self-injury/basics/symptoms/con-20025897. There is more information at this site that can help you understand self-injury. Recovery is possible.


I set myself a goal of going a year without hurting myself, and now I haven't self-injured in 13 years. My therapist taught me healthier ways to cope with my illness and stressors in my life. Thanks to therapy and determination, I dance within the light of recovery. You can too.

1 comment: