Tuesday, August 19, 2014


FINDING HELP



I keep grasping at the vines of life. I pull myself up, but the vine breaks and I fall. Thoughts of giving up fill my mind. Will the light ever shine or will I lay on the bottom forever? Is there a way out of the hole. Will my life be filled with darkness forever?

I asked myself these questions over and over again. In college I believed I could never reach the light. I told no one of my inner anguish. The loneliness grew deep within me. The pain built up within me until I broke down and told my mother what was happening.

My mother was determined to find me help.

In therapy I was given a chart. One side had negative thoughts and the other had positive thoughts. I had to fill out the chart each time I had a negative thought. On one side I put I'm an worthless, piece of trash and on the other side I wrote I am a smart and wonderful person. Finding something good was a struggle especially since I spent most of my life believing I was no good and saw the bad side to everything. How could I change my thinking process?

A long with therapy I was put on antidepressants. Finding the medication that worked for me was not easy. One made me tired and another caused my depression to worsen. Despite the effects, I kept trying new ones until one finally gave me relief.

Talking to a therapist took time. I had to learn to trust my therapist with my deepest secrets. I needed to tell them what was happening within me. The stuff I told no one. At first I hardly talked. After several visits I finally let all out and I suddenly felt as if a burden was lifted from my soul.

When I took a year off from school, I started a job at a grocery store. I made new friends and my life turned around. I was suddenly given a second chance. I started staying out late with friends, sleeping over at my friends home and living the life I didn't have when I was in high school. With the help of therapy, I developed a new view of my life and myself. I finally reached the light and I danced in it.

The light may not always shine. You may fall again, you may have bouts of depression and thinking positive could become a struggle at times. I fell again, years later. I went a period of five years without therapy. When I did fall again I knew to get help once again. I remembered the light and fought again to find it. I reached it and I now live within it.

1 comment:

  1. So glad, Aimee!!! I love your the way you set up your website with help numbers on the right and your story the focus. Whenever you feel like trash, remember that you are looking at the wrong side of the chart. You are impacting lives with your life story! You never know who may be reading along and being inspired by your courage to continue to dance in the light.

    ReplyDelete