Tuesday, August 26, 2014


JUST ONE CUT



  When the pain within me became unbearable I looked for ways to find relief. Emotions ripped at my insides, they weakened me and I needed a way to ease them for even just a few moments. I felt this way in college and years later as an adult. I turned to cutting myself in order to find relief. It was temporary, but it gave me an escape from my inner hell.


  When self-hate, anger, frustration and anguish burned within me I tore at my flesh. Just one cut and I was free. I couldn't feel anything, not even the sting of my wound. I floated above my body, staring down at the sad mess. Then I plummeted back into my body. Tears streamed down my face, the pain returned. I felt the sting of my wound and I began to regret it.


  Thoughts flooded my mind. What have I done? How can I hide the cut? How would I explain my wound if someone saw it? I sat alone in my room, where I always injured, once again overwhelmed by emotions.

  
  Injuring became an addiction just like drugs.

 
  I needed to hurt myself to ease my pain. I tried different methods such as burning myself and punching a wall till my fist turned black and blue. Cutting gave me the most relief.

  
  It became a craving. When the negative thoughts rushed into my mind and my feelings burned within me I suddenly needed physical pain and I had to cut. I fixated on it and planned to cut when I was alone. I never hurt myself in public places. I couldn't let anyone find out what I was doing. No one would understand. It had to be my secret.

 
  I started therapy and began to discuss my addiction. A friend told me about the book The Scarred Soul by Tracy Alderman, Ph.D. I stared doing the exercises in the book. The book and therapy gave me alternatives to self-injuring such as journaling, developing a support system, not spending a lot of time in the place I hurt myself and reminding myself of the negative effects injuring had on my life.

  
  A friend gave me a goal of going a year without cutting. Having a goal gave me the willpower to fight my urges.

 
  Now I have gone 12 years without injuring. At times It crosses my mind, but I remind myself I am much stronger than the urges and have other alternatives.





3 comments:

  1. This is painful to read about, but so necessary for people to understand why some cut and self-injure. Thank you for sharing this so others can hope for recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Roberta. It is difficult to read that was your best alternative at that time but bless you for sharing that painful time to let others know they are not alone. So glad that you were able to find other methods to release your pain, such as journaling and counseling. What a positive challenge to set a goal for one year! Depression is dark but I envision your dancing in the light now, and am so glad you are reaching out to others through this blog. What I firmly believe is when we make a purposeful attempt to reach out to others, it refocuses our energies and is a positive outlet for our pain. Bless you, Aimee. Keep dancing! Keep blogging! Keep writing your book about the garage! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was a very good blog post!! really gets to the point of self injuring and showing there is help out there. very good job!!!

    ReplyDelete