Tuesday, January 12, 2016

YOU DID IT!

When you reach the point in your recovery when your therapist says, “You're doing so well that I feel you no longer need therapy,” you jump for joy. It's the point in your life you have been waiting for, fighting for, and working towards. At one point in your life, you thought this day would never come. Maybe you thought recovery was hopeless and your life was stuck in the dark hole forever. Then you hear your therapist's voice and your mind shouts, “You did it. You took control of your illness.” Yes, it is possible.


I recently reached this point in my life. Last Wednesday my therapist told me I no longer need her services. She said, “You're doing so well I feel you can handle your illness on your own. If you ever feel the need for extra help, you are always welcome to come back.” It was all I could do to refrain from jumping up and down shouting, “Yes, I did it.” I have been going to therapy for so long that I forgot how long. I just know I have been going for years.


I celebrated by going to lunch with my husband and telling all my friends and family. Then when I got home, I had to sit down and think about this new step in my life I was about to take. Yes, I reached a very important step in my recovery, but I still have work to do. I know that even though I no longer need therapy I am not cured of my illness. I still have work to do to keep within the light.


I have to make sure I continually take my medication, I have to keep appointments with my psychiatrist, I have to be sure my support system is in place, and I have to remind myself that there will still be rough times.


I still have many fears. What if I'm not strong enough to handle the bad times? What if my therapist is wrong and I'm not ready to do this without professional help? What if I fall in the hole again? Can I handle my illness all by myself?


I talked out my fears with my husband and he reminded me I am not alone. I'm no longer fighting my illness with the guidance of a therapist, but with the support of my husband, friends and family. He also reassured me I am strong enough to handle the symptoms of my illness. If I wasn't I would have never made it to this point in my life. Through years of therapy I have learned many methods and ways to cope and to push forward.


Ending therapy for me life changing. It's a chance to step out in the real world and live a normal life. For the first time in my life I can actually say I am happy and able to face whatever lies before me.


This point of recovery is possible for you, too. Even though recovery is possible, there is no cure for mental illness, but you can be happy and strong enough to handle whatever faces you. To reach this point in your recovery, you must fight and work hard. You must learn to believe in yourself and to love yourself enough to want to find happiness. Fight for yourself.


I'm excited to take the first steps into my new life. With my strength, my support partners and skills I have learned, I know I will be able to stand tall within the light.

6 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you Aimee! This has got to be the best news for you to ever get!!! Keep up your great work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so proud of you! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so proud of you! Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only known you for a year, and I find that you are a wonderful person. Congratulations on your news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      Thank you for the wonderful compliment and the congratulations. Thanks for reading.

      Delete