Tuesday, December 1, 2015


BE THANKFUL

Many times while we're depressed, we forget to be grateful for the things we do have in our life. We often think we have nothing good in our lives. We see the worst side of everything and we believe there isn't anything to be thankful for. How can we be thankful for the darkness that blankets our souls?


There is more to our lives than the illness that plagues our minds. We need to open our eyes and look at what we do have, and I don't mean just material things. God placed many people in our life to help us survive.


When I was depressed, I felt as if I was being tortured. How could I thank God for that? My mom often said I saw the glass half empty. I did. I saw the negative side to the world about me, and when Thanksgiving came around I felt more depressed. What did I have to be grateful for? I was sick with anxiety, I was depressed, my emotions were out of control, I couldn't sleep and my existence seemed hopeless.


What I couldn't see was I had a lot to be thankful for. I had and still have loving parents, wonderful grandparents, caring siblings, a home, friends, food to eat, and much more. Most importantly I had lots of love surrounding me.


My grandpa always said the richest people in the world are people who have family, friends, and love. It took me a while to let those words sink into my dark soul and see he was right. In the process of recovery, I had to learn to see the glass full. I became very grateful for just being alive. If I actually had taken my life, there is so much I would have missed out on, like my nieces and nephews, finding my true love, and finding happiness.


This Thanksgiving I am thankful I am still in recovery, I have a aunt and uncle and cousins on my husband's side who have opened there hearts to me, I have my parents, my grandma, a wonderful husband, my many nieces and nephews, my dog, my sibling, my happiness, friends, love and much more. With all I have, I believe I am one of the richest persons in the world. I might not have much money, but I'm rich in love.


So this Thanksgiving season stop looking at all the bad things you have in your life and look at the precious gifts God has given you. Write a list of the things you are thankful for. Tell the people around you how grateful you are for them. Remember, family isn't always the one you were born into. Family can be really good friends who love and support you.


This Thanksgiving and all year long, I thank God for all I have. Being thankful helps me remember what I could have missed out on if I had taken my life or never reached recovery. I thank everyone who supports me, who loves me, and who care for me. Being thankful helps me stand within the light.

1 comment: