Tuesday, December 22, 2015

IS THERE A REASON FOR YOUR SADNESS?

Recently, I told a friend's aunt that her nephew was depressed. The aunt asked, “What does he have to be depressed about?” I bit my tongue. I wanted to yell at her, but I kindly explained he has an illness. This simple comment shows that many people are uneducated about major depression and mental illness. Why? Because a person suffering with depression could have everything going for him or her and still be depressed. Sometimes the depressed person may not even know why he or she is sad.


Major depression is not the same thing as getting down because you lost a job, your dog died, your family member died, or you can't pay your mortgage. In these cases, you know why you're depressed and you will be able to pull yourself out of it. With major depression, you may think your whole life sucks, but actually you have a wonderful life. With major depression, you could start crying and not know why or you may wake up feeling down without a reason, and no matter what you do, the sadness won't go away. Major depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain altering your mood.


There have been times I started crying and my husband wrapped his arms around me and asked me what was wrong. All I could say was, “I'm depressed.” I couldn't tell him why because there was no logical reason for my sadness. I'm married to a loving and compassionate man, I have a good job, we own our own home, and I have many friends and a loving family. So what reason did I have to be depressed? I had none. I just had this deep darkness growing inside me and I couldn't explain it.


School was rough, but I grew up with very loving parents, wonderful grandparents, and a fun childhood. Still, a deep sadness lingered within me, a sadness I couldn't shake. The teasing in school and lack of friends deepened my sadness, but did not cause it. As a child, I didn't know what was wrong with me. I just knew I couldn't shake the dark cloud that lingered over me.


Even in the summer time when I was out of school and away from those that put me down, I was sad. I fought with my brother and cried often. Playing outside with my siblings and cousins didn't even brighten my spirits. When I was asked, “What do you have to be sad about?” I couldn't answer. I didn't even know why.


When I got older and started seeing a therapist, I was diagnosed with major depression. My therapist said the chemical imbalance in my brain was making me depressed. Events that happened in my life only added to my depression, but did not cause it. She told me medication will help balance those chemicals and therapy would help correct the bad thinking that I developed while depressed. She was right. With medication and therapy, I am in recovery.


When you talk to a friend who is depressed, don't ask him or her “What do you have to be depressed about?” Instead lend him or her a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen, and encouragement to get help.


You may not know why you're sad but you can with help reach for recovery. It's a struggle to become well again, but it is worth fighting for. With medication and therapy, I now live a happy life within the light.

1 comment: